Skip to Content

Financial Aid and Scholarships

Change in Status

While the majority of work-study students never experience any modifications to their work-study status, it is sometimes necessary to change, reduce or even cancel work-study awards.

Reducing and Cancelling Work-Study Awards

The University of South Carolina Federal Work-Study Program is designed to create successful and productive relationships between students, employers and the university. However, on occasion it may be necessary for the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships to reduce, or even cancel, a student's Federal Work-Study award. If so, both the student and the employing department/agency will be notified by email if the award has been changed or terminated.

The most common reason for reducing a work-study award is when a student receives additional financial assistance during the academic year (i.e., university or outside scholarships).

Changes Initiated by the Department or Agency

There are two changes to the work-study student's status that a department or agency should initiate: 

  1. changes to the student's hourly salary
  2. changes to the fund code

Any changes to the student's expected earnings  and hourly rate should be initiated by the department through EPAF using the Student Job Change action. Any changes to the department's fund code will result to terminating and rehiring the student using the Student Status Change action in EPAF.

Terminations Initiated by the Department or Agency

When a department terminates a Federal Work-Study student for any reason, a Student Status Change action should be completed in EPAF. 

Switching from Work-Study to Departmental Funds
In order to switch a student from work-study funds to departmental funds, the department must first terminate the work-study employment using a Student Status Change action and then rehire as a non-work-study student in EPAF using 100% departmental funds.

Challenge the conventional. Create the exceptional. No Limits.