Student Research is one of the four primary branches of Beyond the Classroom activities at the Honors College. The Honors College offers funding for undergraduate research across disciplines in order to promote intellectual growth and to encourage excellence in scholarship.
Over the course of their four years in the Honors College, students are eligible to apply for a total $4,500 in Student Research funding.
Student Research funding includes SURF, Exploration, and Senior Thesis support. Additional support is available for research-related travel. SURF and Exploration research funds are awarded as a student stipend. Please note, however, that SURF and Exploration funds may not be used to support senior thesis research while you are enrolled in SCHC 499 or another senior thesis class. Projects supported by undergraduate research funds may later be developed into a senior thesis, but students seeking financial support during the senior thesis process should apply for a senior thesis grant.
Undergraduate Research Funding Opportunities
The following programs offer funding opportunities for undergraduate research:
- Exploration Scholars Program for students in arts, music, humanities, journalism, or any other field dealing with more qualitative or exploratory scholarship methods. Business, law, public health, social work, education and other currently under-represented fields for undergraduate scholarship may also apply under this program.
- Science Undergraduate Research Fellowship Program (SURF) for students in science, technology, engineering, mathematics or related fields.
- Senior Thesis Grant funding for extraordinary equipment and supplies for senior thesis. Please see senior thesis grant description.
- Scholarly Research Presentation Travel Support Program partial travel support for students who are presenting scholarly research at an academic conference. Not to support study abroad or senior thesis. See Megan Campbell, Harper 221, for more information and an application.
For a list of past grant recipients, click here.
Spring Application Deadlines:
Friday, April 1st, 2016 for students who would like to start receiving funds in Summer 2016.
Friday, April 29th, 2016 for students who would like to start receiving funds in Fall 2016.
Fall Application Deadline: Monday, September 12th, 2016 for funding October 1, 2016 to June 30th, 2017.
Application Workshop (Required)
Three workshops are held prior to each deadline. Attendance of ONE workshop is required before applying for a SURF or Exploration grant. These workshops are for both SURF and Exploration applicants.
There is NO registration required.
Each workshop will last approximately 30 to 45 minutes.
If you are unable to attend any of the workshops due to class conflicts, please contact Dr. Alexander at firstname.lastname@example.org at least one month prior to the first scheduled workshop.
- Monday, February 29th, 2016, 4:00 PM (Gressette Room)
- Tuesday, March 1st, 2016, 12:00 PM (Gressette Room)
- Wednesday, March 2nd, 2016, 6:00 PM (Gressette Room)
- Monday, August 29th, 2016, 4:00 PM (Gressette Room)
- Tuesday, August 30th, 2016, 12:00 PM (Gressette Room)
- Wednesday, August 31st, 2016, 6:00 PM (Gressette Room)
After you have attended one of the research workshops, you are required to meet with Dr. Alexander before you will be allowed to submit your application.
Forms and Documents
For additional information, please contact:
Susan Alexander, Ph.D.
Director Undergraduate Research