Honors Requirements

Requirements for graduating with Honors from the South Carolina Honors College

For more information, please see the current Student Handbook. Students who enrolled from 2014-2015 should consult the 2014-2015 Student Handbook.  Students who enrolled prior to 2014 should consult the 2011-2014 Student Handbook

Honors students are expected to make satisfactory progress toward graduating with Honors. Graduating with Honors requires students to have taken a minimum of 45 Honors course credits. Please note that “H-Option” and “honorized” course credits count towards meeting the minimum Honors course credit requirements. A grade of “C” or better is required for a course to count both toward acceptable progress and also toward graduation with Honors from the South Carolina Honors College. 

South Carolina Honors College courses are designated either by the “SCHC” prefix, or under the appropriate departmental prefix (e.g., “MATH,” “ENGL”). The SCHC prefix is used for courses designed specifically for the Honors College, and which have no direct equivalent in the regular University curriculum. Honors College versions of University courses are distinguished by alpha-numerical section designators beginning with an H (e.g., H01, H02). A section number of “H10” is used for an Honors College section within a larger, non- Honors course. Students should bear in mind that the Honors College cannot be responsible for providing all the courses necessary to finish any particular discipline’s major.

The College provides courses that fulfill University distribution requirements and that enrich a student’s academic experience. However, in several disciplines some advanced Honors College courses that contribute toward completion of that discipline’s major may not be available. Our advisors will work with you to make graduating “with Honors” possible. With the approval of the appropriate dean or department chair, all Honors College courses may count toward group, area, major, minor, cognate, or elective requirements. Specific questions concerning equivalents should be directed to the SCHC office.